Eating on $25 per person a week, is it possible?

|
The short answer is "Yes it is" and I know that because I have been doing it for years for the four adults living in our home.

The big key to being able to serve varied, nutritious meals on a small budget lies in pre-planning! At the beginning of the week (for me this happens on Wednesday because that is when the majority of grocery ads come out in my area) plan the menu based on what is in your stock pile (if you haven't got a stock pile yet that is fine, you can begin building one) and on what is on sale in your local stores. The goal is to avoid paying full price for anything! Once you have planned what you are going to serve, write your shopping list--for me it helps to put a "c" beside every item I want to use a coupon for so I don't forget while I'm at the store. I also start with a list for each possible store all on one piece of paper along with prices. That way I can decide which store would be the better place for me to shop or if it would be wiser to shop multiple stores. All of that will depend on the amount of saving potential, the amount of time it would take (your time IS worth money) and any extra transportation cost. When you get to the store be aware of "what" you are planning to do with the items on your list and be prepared to substitute if you see something that would be equally good and is at a better price. For example, if you had planned on serving steamed green beans as a vegetable and fresh broccoli were on sale for less than the beans and your family would be equally happy with steamed broccoli it would probably be a good choice to change up the menu.

0 comments:

Post a Comment